Five Star Author Blog

We're a group of authors published by Five Star Publishing (http://www.gale.com/fivestar/). Our genres include everything from Romance, to Mystery, SciFi, Adventure, and Suspense. Welcome to our world - the world of writing.

Thursday, July 06, 2006

A List of My Life

Ever have a day when you couldn't think with any clarity? I did and when it happened to me I panicked, afraid that I'd somehow used up all of my ideas. The real problem though wasn't a lack of ideas, I found, but too many of them. I had information overload.

We have so much going on in our lives. There are so many people and things clamoring for our attention every moment and often, simultaneously. It's no wonder that with so much to think about, at times, thinking of even just one more thing, like writing, is impossible.

When this happens, some writers I know take a break from the keyboard and do something different, like taking a walk, or watching a movie, or going shopping. I find that something else works for me: I make a list of all of the things that are going on in my life.

The things occupying, or preoccupying, my thoughts are always about the current events in my life, so I write down all of those things, even the silly and the mundane. Somehow, seeing my life on paper like that is freeing and I find that once I've made my list, my thoughts and ideas start to flow.

Maybe the reason I'm able to think clearly again is that once I've listed these things, I now don't have to worry that I'll overlook someone or something. Or, maybe it's just that once I see what's been consuming my thoughts, I usually end up laughing, realizing how trivial most of it is.

Here's wishing that all of the things keeping you from thinking clearly are trivial, too.

Regards,
Karen

www.karenfenech.com

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home