Five Star Author Blog

We're a group of authors published by Five Star Publishing (http://www.gale.com/fivestar/). Our genres include everything from Romance, to Mystery, SciFi, Adventure, and Suspense. Welcome to our world - the world of writing.

Friday, July 14, 2006

What's In A Name?

I spend a lot of time thinking about names. Actually, I collect them. I write them down in my "name" journal. Since my husband and I aren't planning any more children, that would seem like an odd preoccupation, but the truth is the search for names has become an important pursuit for me.

I wasn't always into names, but as a writer I've found that having the right name for my characters is key. A character named James behaves differently than one named Jim, or Jimbo.

With BETRAYAL, due out this November, I had the great fun of researching names from the twelfth century. One of my discoveries was "Elspeth" a variation of Elizabeth. I couldn't resist giving that name to one of the characters in my story.

If I have the pleasure of meeting you one day, I hope you'll understand if I take out the little notebook I carry in my purse and jot down your name. :-)

Regards,
Karen
http://www.karenfenech.com/

4 Comments:

  • At July 14, 2006 8:45 AM, Blogger JB said…

    Hello Karen:

    I also keep unique names in a file, just in case I need one. Since I write medieval fantasy,I usually research a name to make sure it is both timely and accurate.

    Recently, I've begun working on palindromes for some of my more "fantastical" characters and after hours of jotting down prospects, two new ones came up that I think are quite interesting.

    Tell me what you think of:

    Esteletse
    Aitroportia

    These are two of the Valkylum muses in The Regents of Rhum. With names like those, they should be real "wingdingers" and they have turned out to be just that.

    Anyway, thanks for the posting on names. It's a subject I enjoy too.

    Jon Baxley
    THE SCYTHIAN STONE
    THE BLACKGLOOM BOUNTY
    THE REGENTS OF RHUM
    THE SCIONS OF SCOTIA

    My Blog:
    http://the-blackgloom-bounty.blogspot.com/

     
  • At July 14, 2006 11:35 AM, Blogger Karen Fenech said…

    Hi Jon,

    Nice to know there are two of us out there collecting names. :-)

    Esteletse
    Aitroportia

    Wow, great palindromes! I'm glad to know the characters are living up to the wonderful names you've given them.

    Do you ever find that sometimes a name you thought would suit a character just doesn't, and end up changing it at some point in the manuscript?

    Regards,
    Karen
    www.karenfenech.com

     
  • At July 14, 2006 5:33 PM, Blogger JB said…

    Hi Karen:

    I've only had to change a couple of character names over the years. One was in a Russian spy novel I'd been working on when I found out the literal translation for the name was, uhm, somewhat off color.

    The other was a character name that I found out, by accident, had been used in one of the early HPotter books. I didn't want JK on my case, so I changed it.

    Otherwise, I pretty much dance with the names I bring to the party, even if they do give me pause sometimes. At least now I've learned to check names through a translator, just to be on the safe side.

    Good luck with your writing.

    JB

     
  • At July 20, 2006 8:56 AM, Blogger Karen Fenech said…

    Thanks so much.

    Regards,
    Karen
    www.karenfenech.com

     

Post a Comment

<< Home