Five Star Author Blog

We're a group of authors published by Five Star Publishing (http://www.gale.com/fivestar/). Our genres include everything from Romance, to Mystery, SciFi, Adventure, and Suspense. Welcome to our world - the world of writing.

Sunday, May 21, 2006

Ideas

Yesterday it happened again. A woman told me she had a great idea for a book. She would share, I would write it and we would "split the money."

Several writers I know have had the same experience.

I'm never at a loss for ideas. They bombard me from news stories, a child's observation, an incident.

And dialogue, too. A man opened a door for me yesterday. When I thanked him, he said, "You're all right." To me it was charming and typical of the way we talk in Oklahoma. In the bank, one man asked another how he was. The response, "I'm good." For me, ordinary, everyday conversations make great material and produce compelling characters. Most writers I know are (1) terribly nosy and (2) eavesdrop. That's where I get some of my best ideas.

I try to be gentle with those non writing idea-people, invite them to attend our writers group. Generally, they're too busy. Oh really?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home