Five Star Author Blog

We're a group of authors published by Five Star Publishing (http://www.gale.com/fivestar/). Our genres include everything from Romance, to Mystery, SciFi, Adventure, and Suspense. Welcome to our world - the world of writing.

Saturday, September 02, 2006

The Writer's Life


I doubt there is anything more frightening to a writer than a blank screen (or piece of paper). You stare at it as though expecting the muse to appear any minute. But that minute soon turns into micutes, then hours, and still NOTHING. Is this writer's block? Is this a writer's truest frustration and moment of despair? For some perhaps. For me it used to be. Now, however, I find it challenging. The blank screen actually awakens my creative spirit from within and gets me excited about what I KNOW will appear--sooner or later. As I allow these thoughts to become stronger (the excitement and anticipation) it's usually under the hour mark before my fingers are tapping away. I now know how Mozart must have felt before psyching himself up and lowering his fingers to the keys before him. I like to think of it as my new found creative block.

In reflecting over the month past I realized I actually wrote more (and better) by allowing the blank screen to be there. Giving it permission to remain blank. It took my mind OFF the screen and into my heart and soul where the muse eventually awakened, arrived, and created. There's many frustrations and disappointments a writer goes through on their journey to publication. Many of these I have just recently discovered; some I have known about ever since I put pencil to paper to compose that first story at age five.

The most despairing feeling is, of course, rejection. Earlier today I had my "rejection collection" out just so I could actually give myself a sense of accomplishment from them. There are 216 of them. The earliest one dated back to 1976. That's thirty years I KNOW I have been writing professionally. Professionally meaning - NEVER giving up in spite of rejection but rather--honing your craft, learning from comments editors may have made, and making tenacity and perseverance your inner trademarks.

Last night I received a positive rejection from an agent. Yes, there are POSITIVE rejections! So much so that it inspired within me a drive to "go for it!" Here is the message:

Thank you for your submission for the Wanderlust Mysteries. We are actually very aware of your series and think it’s a terrific hook. Unfortunately, it’s very difficult to move a series mid-publication, so I will have to pass on this book. Our assistant saw the terrific hook and immediately requested the proposal. I would be very happy to see any new series you decide to work on, or even hear a pitch in an email if you’d like to try something out.

You better believe I pitched something out! I gave it my BEST shot and that's all any of us can do as writer's or anything else we are passionate about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home